Going the Distance

Monday, July 14, 2008

We're in the desert now.

The pictures I posted tonight are a blur of where we've been for the last five or six days. Agra and the Taj Mahal were good. The building is wonderful, white, and honestly one of the finest buildings built. I have some great detail shots that I will share with all of you when we get home. When we were driving to Agra from Delhi I saw a huge elephant taking up one whole lane moving slowly toward Agra. It had a bunch of green plants on its head and a rider. I didn't get a picture but will never forget my first glimp of a huge elephant moving along with trucks, cars and buses on its way to a festival or a wedding. The elephant pic posted that Bob and I are so happy to be riding was taken today at the fort toward the bottom of the pictures. That fort is in Jodhpur and is Mehrangarh Fort. The pictures following are of the Taj in Agra and if you look behind the Banners cup you will see the Taj sticking up from the buildings. This picture was taken from our hotel and is as close as I could get the Banners cup. They check all bags at the Taj for anything that could be used as an explosive or igniting tool.

After Agra we went to Jaipur. That's where the huge viewing building is. The building is only a few feet deep and was built so that the Mugal's wives and other ladies could view parades and street life without being seen. It's all very mysterious.

Today we entered the desert area which is quit different from the other areas where we've been. There are camels everywhere. The one that I'm riding at the end of the pics has a kushy job playing host to the tourists where most are hitched to carts and take their place along with carts, rickshaws, cars, and buses. They are amazing to see-huge-look just like the pictures. I like the desert area. It's hot but not humid. Most of the tourists don't make it here so it feels like we have the place to ourselves. We are only 60 miles from Pakastan and have been reassured that there are no Talaban here, only a few Alkida(?) cells. So there's nothing to worry about. There's lots more India Armed Forces here but nothing like Kashmir or they're not as visible.

Tomorrow we go to Udaipur, another desert place, for two nights then we're on a plane for home. We will see some Jain temples tomorrow before we get to Udaipur.

I'll be happy to see everyone and miss all of you. I want you to tell Chester that I haven't made him an orphan and Jazz too. Hello mom and Carla and Caralie and Dee too. I'll call from New York to set up someone who will meet us. I hope to get another post off before we leave. And will work on updating the calendar and map tonight.

No comments:

Updates

pen logo

I'll be writing you. Check my blog posts above to see what I am Up to. For questions or comments you can either leave a comment here on my blog or you can E-mail me at chriscoc1@gmail.com

Envelope Logo