Going the Distance

Monday, July 19, 2010






This is an amazing place. The building that you see first on the left is the Burial place of Saint John's burial. It just happens to be out our window at the Hotel Bella in Selcuk, Turkey. And behind/and beside it is a sixth century fort. All of this is in the town of Selcuk but it is just an introduction to Ephesus which is probably the most famous and special ruin anywhere. The first date on Ephesus is 2,000 B.C. and built to it's glory about 400 to 600 B.C. under the Greeks and Romans. It is especially well known as the place the apostle John brought the Blessed Mary, wrote the fourth book of the New Testament, lived a long life here and died here and is buried right across from the hotel. Isn't that something? I have lots of images and will share when I come home. By the way, St. Paul also showed up here for a time but was ask to leave by a particularly pagan Roman ruler. I think Paul could be a bit obnoxious.
The storks are nesting outside our balcony. These are babies who have been growing so they're nest is becoming a bit crowded. I think they are cool and I wanted to have a life bird picture to commemorate the passing of my sister's parakeet this morning, in it's home in Lake Charles.
Life go on.
We're having a wonderful time, eating really good food, and seeing some great stuff. I'll get back with you tomorrow night after a big day tomorrow. Bob is having a great time too.
By the way, the building with the high front on it is the library at Ephesus. It was filled with three stories of scrolls. The kind the the scribes would record stuff on. I know you've seen scribes in the movies. Well, this is where they were kept. Good night from this scribe.

1 comment:

Mary R said...

I'm so glad you are posting. Each day looks incredibly wonderful.

Updates

pen logo

I'll be writing you. Check my blog posts above to see what I am Up to. For questions or comments you can either leave a comment here on my blog or you can E-mail me at chriscoc1@gmail.com

Envelope Logo