Going the Distance

Sunday, July 18, 2010





We awoke Saturday morning and went up the mountain behind the hotel and little port to the village of Sehram Kale or Assos. As our car climbed to the top of the steep mountain I could certainly see why anyone who had a choice would built temples, palaces, schools, and in Ottoman times mosques atop this mountain. Assos reached it's glory when Aristotle founded a school here in 340 B.C. The Temple of Athens was here having been built in 600 B.C. by the Greeks. You can see the great view down the coast. You can see the Island of Lesbos behind the olive tree. The is a Greek island that is only 7 kilometers off the Turkish coast. The palace was built during Christian times and St. Paul actually started a church here. A mosque was built using the doors to the church at a later time. The mosque is still in use today.
Then we were back on the road again.

No comments:

Updates

pen logo

I'll be writing you. Check my blog posts above to see what I am Up to. For questions or comments you can either leave a comment here on my blog or you can E-mail me at chriscoc1@gmail.com

Envelope Logo